These items don’t go bad (easily) so you can build your stockpile and not worry about whether or not they’ll go bad in just a few months (or even years!). Make sure to use our printable coupon list for maximum savings on these items. Check out our list of the top food items to stock up on below:
1. Bottled Water
- According to the FDA, bottled water does not go bad even when in long-term storage. Bottled water company have to put an expiration date on the labels, however that is for quality and not safety. Plus it’s always good to have extra water kept around the house in case of an emergency.
2. Dried Beans
- Dried beans can last for years if they are sealed and kept away from moisture. These are also great to keep a stock pile of because they pair well with most meals and beans are a great source of protein.
- Sugar can have a shelf life that lasts forever because it doesn’t support bacterial growth. You just need to keep it in an airtight container and dry.
- Honey can last almost indefinitely because of the high sugar content.
- Rice can last for years as long as it is kept in an airtight container so that contaminants can’t get in. If stored in the fridge, it lasts even longer. Brown rice is the exception, while it lasts a long time, it does not last as long as white rice, jasmine rice, basmati rice and a few others because of the high oil content.
6. Powdered Milk
- Powered milk is another good item so have in case of emergency (like if your power goes out and you are unable to keep refrigerated milk). It may not taste quite as good as regular milk but it lasts for a long time (even up to 10 years if kept dry and sealed).